Perfect 1:87 scale reproduction of the steam locomotive 851.167 of the FS, constructor “Costruzioni Meccaniche di Saronno”, as it was during the era IIIa (’50s years). Black livery with red/brown chassis, big oil lamps, two fuel oil tanks placed between chimney and sandbox, raised rear markings on red background and old type buffers.
LIMITED AND NUMBERED EDITION
All other details comply with the historical setting: smooth rear cabin wall, reduced side visors of the cabin, chimney with conic base, wooden high coal box, additional coal boxes inside the cabin, fuel oil burners over the fire chamber, whistle on front cabin wall, rear side windows partially obscured and handles under the buffers in black colour.
Between 1947 and 1957, 27 units of the Group 851 were experimentally fitted with mixed coal/fuel oil burning system, to reduce consumptions and simplify the work of the stokers, heavily occupied during shunting services. These machines received two big tanks for fuel oil, placed over the boiler between chimney and sandbox or beside the dome, and a burner placed over the opening of the fire chamber to burn oil during active service, while during the parking periods the normal coal burning was used. Many of these units were scrapped with still the oil burning system installed, while others, including the 167 assigned to Bologna depot, at the end of the experimentation were re-converted to the standard coal burning.